Region: Neive, Piedmont, Italy
Ageing Potential: Drink now - 2028
Perfect with: Handmade pork ragu, mature hard cheese
Why You'll Love It?
What started with only a few hectares the Sottimano estate has now expanded to 18ha. The Cotta vineyard is the first of five single vineyards owned by the estate with vines that are over 70 years old. Situated between the zones of Neive and Barbaresco, it produces wines that are full bodied and rich in polyphenol, typical of the Neive area, while its well balanced tannic structure is definitely a mark of the Barbaresco area. Using only wild yeasts, fermentation and the maceration on the skins normally takes about 25 days. Malolactic fermentation happens naturally in French barrels coopered expressively for us by Francois Frères in Burgundy. The wine stays in these barrels for approximately 24 months, half of this time on its lees. 15% of the barrels used for ageing this wine are new, the remaining 85% have previously been used up to 4 times. There is no filtering and no fining prior to bottling.